Prenatal Case Management is a service provided to pregnant women, to assist in gaining access to needed medical, social, and education on prenatal issues & fetal development. The Prenatal Case Management coordinator seeks to promote the health of recipients and foster independent compliance with health care services. This is a voluntary program.
To qualify for Prenatal Case Management the individual must be enrolled in the Medicaid program or in the WIC Program. A risk appraisal is conducted to identify pregnant women who have or may develop certain risk factors related to physical, psychosocial, developmental, and/or environmental problems. After risks have been identified, a care plan is developed as guidance for the client’s education. Enrollment is accepted anytime during the pregnancy, preferably prior to seven months.
Prenatal Case Management program objectives include:
- Assistance with obtaining and maintaining prenatal care
- Identification of barriers to prenatal care
- Assisting individuals in abusive relationships to find alternative living arrangements
- Obtaining primary care for the newborn
- Assistance in enrolling in other programs, such as WIC, childbirth classes, resource moms, child enhancement, etc.
Expectant Mother responsibilities include:
- Participating with the case manager to in her plan for health care needs;
- Providing physicians name, appointment dates and progress noted at visits;
- Maintain visits with the case manager every month
The Prenatal Case Management coordinator develops a plan of care to meet the expectant mothers healthcare needs. An abundance of educational materials, including information about:
- Pregnancy & Body Changes
- “Before, Between & Beyond” and “Count the Kicks” Education Program
- True Labor vs False Labor Identification
- Childbirth Process
- Immunizations/Childhood Health
The most important aspect of the program is providing support to the expectant mother and her unborn child. Discharge from the program is usually 60 days after delivery, with additional follow up available upon client request.
For more information, please call (573) 648-2498 Ext 22